We’re excited to announce we’re opening a new physical location on Market Street in Ballard at the end of summer! Stay tuned for updates and in the meantime, join us outdoors, online, or for 1:1 or small group coaching!
Mission & Values
Support a diverse and ever-growing community through movement and empowerment
- Cultivate community spaces for movement and connection
- Prioritize coach support for growth, health, and longevity
- Help individuals discover how to move confidently in their bodies
- Question our actions and refine our systems to actively dismantle white supremacy
- Participate in social justice action/reform and give back to our community
How does the Strive & Uplift team commit to expressing these values?
- Using inclusive, non-gendered, and non-judgemental language in our classes and programming
- Welcoming people of all backgrounds by lowering barriers to accessing services and being in community with those we wish to support
- Dismantling toxic fitness culture by providing movement and service options for every body and ability
- Valuing coaches’ experience, compassion, informal education and values alignment as worthy credentials
- Addressing safety, both physical and emotional, in our work and common spaces in a transparent and thoughtful way
- Providing our members with many options for further learning and engagement with community
- Investing in coach growth and working as a team to engage with issues and opportunities
- Emphasizing the need for coaches to fill their own cups before helping others – offering daily check-ins, time off, and clear guidelines for engagement with other coaches and members
- Participating in conversations with our members in order to adjust our systems and services to better fit the needs of the community
- Using, revising, challenging and updating our education resources and engagement around topics of mental health, nutrition, recovery, and self-care
- Encouraging community members to connect to their own bodies and experience, and to support each other’s growth as well as their own
- Engaging with a diverse network of coaches for mutual education and shifting away from cis-hetero-patriarchial fitness culture standards
- Learning from fellow S&U coaches through check-ins, sharing resources, taking each others’ classes, and consulting in their areas of expertise
- Highlighting marginalized people’s athletic and human efforts and successes, whether or not they’re connected to us or our programming
- Organizing and contributing to fundraising and donation drives for mutual aid and community services that need support
- Learning from marginalized populations to better embrace and amplify their voices
- Connecting our community with causes and initiatives that our coaches value in order to facilitate more resource distribution and increase visibility
Like what you’re seeing? Think you vibe with us and want to stay informed about what we’re up to? Subscribe to our newsletter! We send out updates about once a month to our wider community about new things we’re working on!
Each of our coaches is a part of this community because they are passionate about its mission and vision: providing high-quality movement education and sport performance guidance in a supportive environment.
We bring different expertise and life experience to this initiative and relish all the opportunities we have to learn from each other, our partnering health professionals, and our clients! We have a growth mindset as a team, always striving to increase our skill sets while uplifting each other through supportive communication and caring in the process. We truly believe in living the mission and vision of this gym through our actions, and that includes amongst ourselves!
Click through to learn more about each of our coaches!
Strive and Uplift is based in Seattle and supports athletes all over the world! We’re fortunate to have members that contribute something unique and special to our Squad with their energy, passion, and vision of what health and wellness means. We learn from them every day and are excited to be building something awesome together.
- Darcy Greene
- Dana Riley Black
- Kirsten Rogers
- Sue Sheldon
- Sarra Scherb
- Daniel “Peaches” Walton
- Kass Escalera
- Julie Smith
- Lindsey Dvorak
- Susan Goldman
- Rory Coyne
- Devin Gaan
- Cathy Wickwire
- Lindsey Warren-Shriner
- Kayle Armstrong
- Ian Joslin
- Fiona Cahill
- Aiza Abelon
- Pat Holland
- Tim Everson
- Jennie Struijk
- Alyssa Kelly
- Alex Pecoraro
- Sabreen Lakhani
- Carl Richmond
- Maya Smorodinsky
- John “Hallywood” Hall
- Katrina Hamilton
Strive & Uplift actively seeks out partnerships with entities that share our values of community, movement, and inclusivity! We’re excited to work with these organizations by providing valuable services, amplifying their voices, and engaging with their expertise!
F4AB is an invaluable resource for coaches who are seeking to disrupt and reframe the fitness industrial complex! They educate through podcasts, small-group cohorts, posts, and events, and also offer services to gyms like their Culture Check (which S&U is currently engaging with). We’re building a long-term relationship them in order to continue to divest our business from the cis-hetero-patriarchal system of toxic fitness culture.
Intentionalist is an incredible online resource to help people shop small!! We love all the ways they support our Seattle community, and their values resonate so strongly with ours that we were one of the first businesses they featured when they started! Check out their gift guides for last-minute ideas, and remember that every dollar spent at a small business makes a big difference.
The Women’s Strength Coalition is an international network of like-minded movement professionals, athletes, and fitness enthusiasts using our collective strength to impact the world in a meaningful way.
We believe all people deserve access to a movement practice that is safe and affirming. We believe exercise is a celebration of what our bodies can do, not a punishment for what we ate. We believe in taking up space.
Strive & Uplift is proud to be an affiliate of the Women’s Strength Coalition, whose values of Inclusivity, Access, Education, Community, Collaboration, and Support align deeply with our own.
We believe that people in all bodies deserve access to quality movement education – we’re thrilled to have our business be listed in the ASDAH Health at Every Size Expert database! The HAES principles are weight inclusivity, health enhancement, respectful care, eating for well-being, and life-enhancing movement.
Dr. Patrick has been working with our community since day one! In addition to providing excellent sports chiropractic services, he’s also led workshops on K-Taping, mobility, and other subjects that our members request. If you’re in need of high-quality and compassionate care in Seattle, reach out to him!
The ultimate community in the Pacific NW is stronger and deeper than any in the world because of DiscNW. They run all the programs that many of our athletes participate in, from youth and adult leagues to tournaments to education events. Strive & Uplift works with DiscNW to provide coach education and programming for its athletes (youth and adults), lead warmups for new players, and participate in summer camp coaching.
Providing great gear for ultimate players is only a small part of VC’s mission – led by Adriana Withers for the past 20 years, VC is a voice for equity and diversity in multiple ways across all of their platforms! VC makes Strive & Uplift gear (like our awesome rainbow shirts) but also collaborates in our educational ventures and gives us the ability to reach their customers with our educational resources!
Youth ultimate athletes in Canada look to Elevate for expert coaching in disc skills, strategy and spirit! S&U provides movement programming for their camps as well as individuals in order to support athletic development and reduce injury!
The Premier Ultimate League is a fast-growing professional league for women and non-binary players that’s inspiring the ultimate community in a big way! Strive & Uplift was thrilled to create custom programming to help the players stay healthy and strong all season long – looking forward to a great relationship this year as well!
Mary’s Place provides shelter and resources to homeless womxn and their families in Seattle. Strive & Uplift collects donations from members to meet various needs, and plans are in the works to create regular onsite education and movement coaching opportunities for staff and the community at large!
This rescue has a special place in Coach Kira’s heart. Kira’s friends, after working for various other rescues, founded their own! Resilient Hearts Animal Sanctuary is a Seattle-based nonprofit. Their mission is to rescue and rehabilitate animals from high-risk areas, and uniting them with their forever families. We support them by helping raise money to save puppies through opportunities for our community to interact with and snuggle the puppies. Coach Kira brings puppies she fosters to classes whenever puppies are in town!
Once your PT runs out, where do you go to gain the strength and confidence necessary to return to an active lifestyle or sport performance? When you get injured and can’t train hard, where do you go to get back in fighting shape? Real Rehab (women-owned) and Strive & Uplift share many clients and have a huge amount of respect for each others’ expertise and movement philosophy. Two of their former top physical therapists, Deb Scheibe and Catherine Nutting, collaborated with Coach Ren on our Return to Performance program for postpartum folks!